Jussie Smollett's trial will be live and in color.
A Chicago judge issued a ruling on Tuesday (March 12) allowing cameras in the courtroom for his next appearance. During the brief hearing on Tuesday, the Empire star's legal team and the prosecution agreed that cameras would be allowed at the next hearing in the case, AP reports.
"We welcome cameras in the courtroom so that the public and the media can see the actual evidence and what we believe is the lack of evidence against Mr. Smollett and we look forward to complete transparency and the truth coming out,” Jussie's attorney Tina Glandian told reporters following the hearing.
The 36-year-old actor was present for the judge's ruling. As previously reported, Jussie kept his head high as he strutted confidently into a Cook County Courthouse on Tuesday surrounded by his legal team and a few of his family members. Jussie wasn't even required to attend the Tuesday hearing, however, sources told TMZ, he chose to go because he intends to be an active participant in his defense and he's done hiding.
The actor is set to appear in court on Thursday (March 14), where he is expected to enter his plea in connection to his on-going disorderly conduct case. Earlier this month, a grand jury indicted Jussie on 16 felony counts of disorderly conduct for filing a false police report for his January attack.
Jussie claimed he was assaulted in Chicago on January 29 by two men wearing ski masks. He said he had just arrived in the city from New York and made a late-night run to a Subway when someone yelled: "Aren't you that f**got 'Empire' n**ga?" He claimed the two attackers, later identified as brothers Abel and Ola Osundairo, then proceeded to jump him, put a rope around his neck and poured bleach on him. Jussie additionally claimed his attackers shouted, "this is MAGA country!" However, Prosecutors allege that Jussie paid the brothers to attack him because he was unhappy with his salary and wanted to promote his career. Jussie, however, mains his innocence.
Photo: Getty Images